Putting on and checking the mask
Take time to correctly identify which size and style of mask is suitable for you. Each time a P2/N95 face mask is used it should be fit checked before entering an unsafe environment. Fit checks ensure that the mask is sealed over the bridge of the nose and mouth, and that there are no gaps in the seal between the mask and the face. P2/N95 face masks should always be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step-by-step instructions on wearing P2/N95 masks
- Remove anything that could be tangled in the mask such as glasses or hats.
- Put the mask over your mouth and nose with the metal strip on the top of the nose.
- Pull the straps over to the back of your head and base of the neck.
- Squeeze the metal strip across the top of nose to create a seal.
- Press the edges of the mask against your face. Gently breathe to check the seal against your face is intact.
- If the mask is not drawn towards your face, or air leaks, adjust it by repeating the previous steps.